Where Do I Put the Sunflower?
The Sunflower needs ONE thing to work: sunlight! Put simply, the ideal place to put the Sunflower is in a patch of yard that receives direct sunlight for most of the day AND is in view of your target.
If this seems too simple for you, then follow these steps:
- Identify the sunny spots in your yard. Figure out which places get sun for the longest period of time, those places will be your ideal spots.
- Identify your target.
- Stand in your ideal sunny spot and ensure that you have a direct line of sight to your target.
- Is your target less than 30 feet away? If so, go on to step 5. If not, you can place the Sunflower further than 30 feet away from its target, but you will experience greater drift throughout the course of the day. (For every 10 feet away, your reflection can drift up to 1 foot over the course of the day. “Over the course of the day” means you won’t experience this amount of drift at any one moment. The reflection will drift over time as the sun moves across the sky – similar to when you see a shadow drift on a sundial over the course of the day.
- Final check to make sure the Sunflower will work in this location: determine the direction of your target with respect to the sunny spot/potential Sunflower location. Is your target East, South, or West of the sunny spot?
- If the target is EAST of the sunny spot, then does the sunny spot receive sunlight in the morning until noon? If yes, then this is a good place to put your Sunflower. Expect your target to receive sunlight from sunrise until approximately noon. If no, then the Sunflower will not work in this location for you.
- If the target is SOUTH of the sunny spot, then the Sunflower will redirect sunlight to its target for as long as the sun hits the Sunflower. This is the ideal location and target for the Sunflower, because you can experience sunlight all day.
- If the target is WEST of the sunny spot, then does the sunny spot receive sunlight from noon to sunset? If yes, then this is a good place to put your Sunflower. Expect your target to receive sunlight from approximately noon until sunset. If no, then the Sunflower will not work in this location for you.
Once you’ve figured out where you would like to put the Sunflower, if you’re having trouble visualizing the performance you can expect to receive, try using the Sunflower Dial.